I hate to be the bearer of bad news especially when it is in regards to a lovely lovely drink,such as the Moscow Mule. In case you didn't know, the drink typically contains, 4 oz of Ginger Beer, 1 1/2 oz of Vodka, and 1/6 oz of lime juice. This drink has surged in popularity in the past two years, most people had never heard of it before.
Unfortunately, in keeping up with the FDA guidelines, copper should not come into contact with acidic foods with a pH below 6. Some examples would be; vinegar, fruit juices, wine, and most definitely a Moscow Mule, whose pH level is WELL BELOW a 6.0. When the pH level is this low, there is a large risk that copper may be leached into the food or beverage.
Copper poisoning is a real thing. Sudden copper poisoning doesn't happen everyday... but uh serious health problems from too much exposure can happen, and it can happen to you.
There is a reason why your mama never cooked in copper, and I'm quite certain, this is it. According to the National Institutes of Health, copper consumption can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and jaundice, sever poisoning can cause liver failure and death. Be Well Good People.
- Chloe Aquil