How long have you had a half-used lipstick, mascara, foundation, or concealer at the bottom of purse, in the back of your bathroom cabinet, or lost in the “catch-all” bathroom drawer? To undercover our beauty care habits Poshly was commissioned to survey over 4,000 women in the U.S. and the results were shocking. Although, the research survey was conducted in 2015 little has changed with our daily habits.
Our Beauty Habits Revealed
- More than 80% of women know makeup has expiration dates and have problems with old product, but still don't discard them because they forget
- 89% of women hang onto old makeup "just in case they might need it later"
- 87% of them know that makeup has expiration dates.
- For the average consumer between the ages of 25 and 50, 75% don't routinely finish their makeup - and not just before it expires, but at all.
- Women are knowingly keeping and using expired makeup that could have an adverse effect on their health and well-being.
- Less than 1 in 5 toss their mascara in the recommended time frame of 3 months.
- The most common makeup to stick around too long is eye makeup - even though it expires the fastest and is the worst to use, past its safe expiration date.
- The average consumer owns almost 40 makeup products
- Women between the ages of 25-42 would rather suffer reoccurring breakouts instead of downsizing their bathroom vanities
What Now? Time To Actively Keep Track Of Expiration Dates
This study is a reminder that we must be diligent about caring for our beauty products to prevent skin irritations, breakouts, and infections. You can brush up on how to care for your products and beauty tools such as makeup brushes by reading several of our Beauty Lessons posts here.
Keeping track of every expiration date of every makeup and skincare product you have can be daunting, however it’s something that’s important that will have a positive impact on the heath of your skin and the ease and finished look of your makeup. Because as Loreal always says - your worth it!